Saturday, March 19, 2005

No More SNOW???

One of the best things about Idaho is the snow!

I realize that many Idahoans and and others in the northernmost reaches would disagree with me on this. Apparently they see snow as a big pain in the a** . However, having experienced snow the first seven years of my life, then having lived in California the rest of it, I really really missed the snow. (Well, all of the seasons for that matter.) I ached to see tree-lined streets filled with the flaming colors of fall, and I missed swirling silent snowflakes and the scrunchy sound of newly-fallen snow under your boots (or athletic shoes, as the case may be).

Now, I can sit at my computer and as I work I gaze out of the big picture window in my living room. Those first few snowfalls were like magic. I sat mesmerized, and of course, got absolutely nothing done.

In all, we got maybe all of six inches of snow this winter, so far. I don't know what everyone was whining about! Well, maybe I do. They say years ago winters here were much worse than they are nowadays. Maybe they're exaggerating, or maybe we're headed for a drought, or maybe global warming is messing everything up. I heard on the news that right now the snow pack in the mountains here-abouts is less than one-fourth of normal, and that it would take a miracle so late in the winter season to get it up to one-half of normal. I know the farmers and ranchers are worried about it (this Southeastern Idaho valley is actually a desert, you know).

Isn't it ironic? Folks don't appreciate the snow until they don't get enough of it. Kind of like most things, isn't it? All I know is that for me, I'm looking for more white stuff before the end of the winter, or maybe a surprise blizzard in the spring!

1 Comments:

At 10:26 AM, Blogger Holly said...

Hi Sandra! We meet again. I, too, am a lover of snow! My parents were raised in Minnesota, so snow is part of our gene make up. Here in Illinois, Spring is taking it's time, but I did see two robins in the backyard this morning.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Best Buy Discount Coupons
Best Buy Discount Coupons