Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Over 50? Play Volleyball!

I am a volleyball junkie.

I play whenever I can, at least once a week. Volleyball is the one thing that gets me off my rear after sitting in front of the computer screen all day. I also walk my dog (he's gotta go when he's gotta go!) but it's not as much fun. I have tried working out in the gym and found it be possibly the most boring activity on the planet. Ditto for aerobics.

I'm the competitive type. I need to smack a ball at someone and get points for it. I need people (especially younger people) to nod at me and say "nice hit." I need to pound aces into the opposing court; I need my spectacular serving skills to eventually win the game for my team. And, oh yeah, I need exercise too.

I'm probably the oldest person in my VB crowd; definately the oldest female. However, I've played regularly for at least the past 12 years, usually at local community colleges, on church teams, and informally whenever the opportunity arises. I've always played at the level of players much younger than me, so I've constantly pushed myself. My skill level is good, a serious game of power volleyball doesn't scare me. I have a nice pass, I can spike, and I have a killer overhand serve. Conversely, I can't jump so my blocks are fruitless, and my sets are lousy, but getting better. I plan to play this game forever. (I also plan to live forever.)

The advantages of volleyball are:

  • you don't need physical strength
  • you don't have to kill yourself running (like basketball, soccer, or the treadmill)
  • you can continue to improve your game at any age
  • it's genuinely fun.

Disadvantages? Fear of the ball (you can get over it) and broken nails (oh, please!).

There are volleyball clubs for all ages. Anyone can play community college volleyball, and many churches and city recreation centers have volleyball teams. Click here to learn more about joining a team.

If you are looking for a great way to get off your bum , have fun, and get real aerobic exercise, play the awesome sport - play volleyball!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Best Buy Discount Coupons
Best Buy Discount Coupons